61 acres of indoor and outdoor learning environments that inspire creativity
First things first, our students get a little dirty from time to time. Sometimes learning is a dirty business and we're ok with that. We like to be outside and so do our students. It's not unusual to find our environmental upper school science class down in the wetlands placing coverboards, or perhaps you'll find our lower school students playing in the ever-popular "Nature Club" wooded area during their lunch break. Did we mention our students are avid gardeners? Our middle and lower school students tend to their own plot throughout the year and host seedling sales and garden salsa parties. We value the importance of outdoor learning just as much as our parents value the importance of good detergent.
Take a look around...
Our Master Plan
In 2002, Woodlawn partnered with MBAJ Architecture to create a master site plan for the campus. In 2006 and again in 2012, we updated this plan with architects from Adams and Associates in Mooresville. We most recently revised the plan in 2018 with assistance from WGM Design of Charlotte. The plan includes multiple classroom buildings, amphitheater, gymnasium, and a performing arts center. Woodlawn takes pride in maintaining its historic buildings and grounds. Our campus is one of the key differentiating points of the Woodlawn experience, and we are committed to retaining our natural surroundings and historical legacy as we grow.
The main house on the Woodlawn campus is a 2-story Planter's home built in 1836. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The architectural details are common to the transitional Federal - Greek Revival style often built in the Piedmont area of North Carolina at that time. It was built by Dr. George Washington Stinson, a planter and trustee of Davidson College. The original structure consisted of 8 rooms (each with its own fireplace and mantle) on 2 levels off center hallways. The two-and-a-half story staircase features a walnut, spiral-turned handrail believed imported from Charleston.
Tradition relates that Dr. Stinson's home was popular among the Davidson students, not only because he had several eligible daughters, but also because he permitted square dancing, which was strongly discouraged by the Presbyterians of the day. Stinson was a member of Centre Presbyterian Church, where he and his wife are buried. The house remained in the Stinson family until the twentieth century.
The barn on the eastern edge of the property is believed to have been built around 1910. During the mid-1900s, it housed several mules that were used in farming the fields.
In 1981, an upstairs bathroom was installed, heat pumps were placed into service, and the front porch was restored. In 1985, a significant, architecturally compatible addition was made to the back of the house. This included a kitchen and breakfast area, bathroom, and wraparound deck. The carriage house was also constructed at this time, and the nearby potting shed was finished in the early 1990s. In 2003, the house was renovated for use by the school, and was dedicated as Stinson Hall, in honor of its builder.